Welcome to Yi Pang’s Research Group at University of Akron
Department of Chemistry & Maurice Morton Institute of Polymer Science
Our research laboratory seeks design and synthesis of novel p-conjugated materials that has potential applications in material science and chemical sensors. One current area is to modify the molecular interaction at the surface of carbon nanotube (CNT), with the goal to isolate CNT of specific chirality. For example, the polymer helical conformation can be tailored to proper size, which can serve as molecular filter to sort the carbon nanotubes by different diameters. The electronic interaction can be used to further tune the polymer’s affinity to different nanotubes, thereby resulting in the “quantum effect” to achieve specific CNT isolation.
In another direction, we are interested in understanding the fundamental impact of chemical structures and nano assembly on the luminescent properties of p-conjugated materials. The study aims to develop new materials that can specifically recognize the chemical species of biological importance (e.g. Zn2+, proteins, ATP, pyrophosphate). In a recent study, a zinc sensor (Zinhbo-5) is synthesized, which can be turned-on by zinc binding to give strong emission at 540 nm (green color) and 763 nm (near infrared). Application of Zinhbo-5 to zibrafish shows that the zinc cation is confined mainly to the nose and neuromasts.
Funding: We thank supports from Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), National Institute of Health (NIH), NASA and University of Akron through Coleman Endowment.
Research Position: Our group is focusing on developing luminescent materials for a broad range of applications. Motivated graduate students or researchers are encouraged to contact Dr. Yi Pang (phone: 330-972-8263, or email: email@example.com).
119. Bin Liu, Qin Liu, Mickey Shah, Junfeng Wang, Ge Zhang, Yi Pang “Fluorescence monitor of hydrazine in vivo by selective deprotection of flavonoid.” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, submitted for publication.
118. Junfeng Wang, Weihua Chen, Xiumin Liu, Yi Pang “A Mononuclear Zinc Complex for Selective Detection of Diphosphate via Fluorescence ESIPT Turn-On.” J. Mater. Chem. B., DOI:10.1039/C4TB00020J (accepted for publication).
117. Bin Liu, Junfeng Wang, Ge Zhang, Ruke Bai, and Yi Pang, “A flavone-based ESIPT ratiometric chemodosimeter for detection of cysteine in living cells.” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2014, DOI 10.1021/am500102s (in press).
116. Junfeng Wang, Yingbo Li, Ernest Duah, Sailaja Paruchuri, Demin Zhou, Yi Pang “A Selective NIR-Emitting Zinc Sensor by Using Schiff Base Binding to Turn-On Excited-State Intramolecular Proton Transfer.” J. Mater. Chem. B, 2014, 2, 2008 - 2012. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2014/TB/C3TB21339K#!divAbstract
115. Yongqian Xu, Liangliang Xiao, Yunfei Zhang, Shiguo Sun, Yi Pang “Substituent effect on fluorophores instead of ionophores: its implication in highly selective fluorescent probe for Zn2+ over Cd2+”. RSC Advances, 2014, 4(10), 4827-4830. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2014/RA/C3RA46468G#!divAbstract
114. Junfeng Wang, Yi Pang “A Simple Sensitive ESIPT On-Off Fluorescent Sensor for Selective Detection of Al3+ in Water,” RSC Advances, 2014, 4 (12), 5845 – 5848. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2014/ra/c3ra47104g#!divAbstract
113. Guangzhuo Rong, Yusheng Chen, Lei Wang, Joanne Li, Junfeng Wang, Matthew J. Panzer, Yi Pang “A Benzoxazole Sulfenamide Accelerator: Synthesis, Structure, Property and Implication in Rubber Vulcanization.” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2014, 131 (6), in press. (DOI:10.1002/app.39699) http://journals.ohiolink.edu/ejc/article.cgi?issn=00218995&issue=v131i0006&article=nfp_absassaiirvm
112. Yusheng Chen, Rosi N. Gunasinghe, Xiao-Qian Wang, Yi Pang “Selective Dispersion of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes by a Cationic Surfactant.” RSC Advances, 2013, 3, 25097–25102. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2013/ra/c3ra43654c/unauth#!divAbstract
111. Yongqian Xu, Benhao Li, Liangliang Xiao, Weiwei Li, Chenyuan Zhang, Shiguo Sun, Yi Pang. “The sphere-to-rod transition of squaraine-embedded micelles: a self-assembly platform displays a distinct response to cysteine and homocystein.” Chem. Commun. 2013, 49, 7732-7734.
110. Yongqian Xu, Benhao Li, Weiwei Li, Jie Zhao, Shiguo Sun, Yi Pang, “ICT-not-quenching” near infrared ratiometric fluorescent detection of picric acid in aqueous media.” Chem. Commun., 2013, 49, 4764-4766. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/results?searchtext=DOI%3A10.1039%2FC3CC41994K
109. Junfeng Wang, Yi Pang, “A Versatile Synthesis of Bis[2-(2´-hydroxylphenyl)benzoxazole] Derivatives as Zinc Sensors.” RSC Advance, 2013, 3, 10208-10212. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2013/ra/c3ra41080c
108. Junfeng Wang, Qinghui Chu, Xiumin Liu, Chrys Wesdemiotis and Yi Pang, “Large Fluorescence Turn-On by Alcohol from a Bis(benzoxazole)-Zinc(II) Complex: The Role of Excited State Intramolecular Proton Transfer.” J. Phys. Chem. B, 2013, 117, 4127-4133. (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jp401612u )
107. Yongqian Xu , Benhao Li, Pan Han, Shiguo Sun and Yi Pang “Near-infrared fluorescent detection of glutathione via reaction-promoted assembly of squaraine-analyte adducts.” Analyst, 2013, 138, 1004-1007. (http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2013/AN/C2AN36475A )
106. Tengfei Xiang, Xiumin Liu, Ping Yi, Mingming Guo, Chrys Wesdemiotis, Jie Xu, Yi Pang, “Schiff base polymers derived from 2,5-diformylfuran.” Polymer International, 2013, 62, 1517-1523. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pi.4452/abstract;jsessionid=74BD057D50016F2DA804B5499DA8BF17.d02t04 )
105. Yusheng Chen, Yongqian Xu, Qiuming Wang, Rosi N. Gunasinghe, Xiao-Qian Wang, Yi Pang “Highly Selective Dispersion of Carbon Nanotubes by Using Poly(phenyleneethynylene)-Guided Supermolecular Assembly.” Small, 2013, 9, 870-875. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smll.201202103 )
104. Yongqian Xu, Qin Liu, Xiaopeng Li, Chrys Wesdemiotis and Yi Pang, “A Zwitterionic Squaraine Dye with Large Stokes Shift for in vivo and Site-Selective Protein Sensing.” Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 11313–11315. (http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/cc/c2cc36285f)
103. Jiping Ma, Xinfei Yu, and Jie Xu, Yi Pang, “Synthesis and Crystallinity of Poly(butylene 2,5-furandicarboxylate).” Polymers, 2012, 53, 4145-4151. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2012.07.022).
102. Yusheng Chen, Yongqian Xu, Kelly Perry, Alexei P. Sokolov, Karren More, Yi Pang, “Achieving Diameter-Selective Separation of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes by Using Polymer Conformation-Confined Helical Cavity.” ACS Macro Lett., 2012, 1, 701–705. (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/mz3001308)
101. Chenming Xue, Yongqian Xu, Yi Pang, Dingshan Yu, Liming Dai, Min Gao, Augustine Urbas and Quan Li* "Organo-Soluble Porphyrin Mixed Monolayer-Protected Gold Nanorods with Intercalated Fullerenes" Langmuir, 2012, 28, 5955-5963.
100. Yongqian Xu, Qin Liu, Borui Dou, Brian Wright, Jingyun Wang and Yi Pang, “Zn2+ Binding-Enabled Excited State Intramolecular Proton Transfer: A Step toward New Near-Infrared Fluorescent Probes for Imaging Applications” Adv. Healthcare Mater., 2012, 1, 485-492. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adhm.201200025/abstract)
99. Weihua Chen, Brian D. Wright, Yi Pang, “Rational Design of A NIR-Emitting Pd(II) Sensor via Oxidative Cyclization to From Benzoxazole Ring”. Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 3824–3826. (http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2012/CC/C2CC30240C# )
98. Zhiyong Li, Shiguo Sun, Fengyu Liu, Yi Pang, Jiangli Fan and Xiaojun Peng “Large Fluorescence Enhancement of Hemicyanine by Supramolecular Interaction with CB and its Application as Resetable Logic Gates.” Dyes and Pigment, 2012, 93 (1-2), 1401-1407.
97. Jiping Ma, Yi Pang, Min Wang, Jie Xu, Hong Ma, and Xin Nie “New Copolyesters via Direct Esterification of 2,5-Furandicarboxylic Acid with 1,2-Ethylene Glycol and 1,4-Butylene Glycol” J. Mater. Chem., 2012, 22(8), 3457-3461. (http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2012/JM/c2jm15457a)
96. Yusheng Chen, Andrey Malkovskiy, Xiao-Qian Wang, Alexei P. Sokolov, Marisabel Lebron-Colon, Kelly Perry, Karren More, Yi Pang “Selection of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube with Narrow Diameter Distribution by Using a PPE-PPV Copolymer” ACS Macro Lett., 2012, 1, 246-251. (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/mz2001093)
95. Weihua Chen, Eric Twum, Linlin Li, Brian Wright, Peter Rinaldi, Yi Pang, “Rotational Energy Barrier of 2- (2',6’-Dihydroxyphenyl)benzoxazole: A Case of Study by NMR." J. Org. Chem., 2012, 77(1), 285-290. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo201890f
94. Yongqian Xu, Mingming Guo, Xiaopeng Li, Chrys Wesdemiotis and Yi Pang, “Formation of linear supramolecular polymers that is driven by hydrophobic interaction based on host-guest assembly in water.” Chem. Commun., 2011, 47, 8883-8885.
93. Yongqian Xu, Andrey Malkovskiy, Yi Pang, “A Graphene Binding-Promoted Fluorescence Enhancement for BSA Recognition.” Chem. Commun, 2011, 47, 6662-6664.
92. Tongyan Zhang, Shiguo Sun, Fengyu Liu, Yi Pang, Jiangli Fan and Xiaojun Peng, “Interaction of DNA and a series of aromatic donor–viologen acceptor molecules with and without the presence of CB.” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2011, 13, 9789-9795.
91. Weihua Chen, Yu Xing, Yi Pang, “A Highly Selective Pyrophosphate Sensor Based on ESIPT Turn-On in Water”, Org. Lett., 2011, 13, 1362-1365.
90. Yongqian Xu, Andrey Malkovskiy, Qiuming Wang and Yi Pang “Molecular Assembly of A Squaraine Dye with Cationic Surfactant and nucleotides: Its Impact on Aggregation and Fluorescence Response.” Org. Biomol. Chem., 2011, 9(8), 2878-2884.
89. Yongqian Xu, Yi Pang “Zn2+-Trigged Excited-State Intramolecular Proton Transfer: A Sensitive Probe with Near-infrared Emission from Bis(benzoxazole) Derivative.” Dalton Transaction, 2011, 40, 1503-1509.
88. Jiping Ma, Zhongtian Du, Jie Xu, Qinghui Chu, Yi Pang, “Efficient Aerobic Oxidation of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural to 2,5-Diformylfuran, and Synthesis of a Fluorescent Material”, ChemSusChem, 2011, 4, 51-54.
87. Junhong Yao, Yusheng Chen, Yi Pang “Application of Sonochemistry in the Isomerization of Carbon-Carbon double bond.” J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem., 2010, 48, 5254-5257.
86. Chao Wang, Felix S. Kim, Guoqian Ren, Yongqian Xu, Yi Pang, Samson A. Jenekhe, Li Jia “Regioregular Poly(3-alkanoylthiophene): Synthesis and Electrochemical, Photophysical, Charge Transport, and Photovoltaic Properties.” J. Polym. Sci. A Polym. Chem. 2010, 48, 4681-4690.
85. Yongqian Xu, Zhiyong Li, Andrey Malkovskiy, Shiguo Sun and Yi Pang, “Aggregation control of squaraines and their use as near infrared fluorescent sensor for protein.” J. Phys. Chem. B. 2010, 114 (25), 8574–8580.
84. Shiguo Sun, Yanxia He, Zhigang Yang, Yi Pang, Fengyu Liu, Jiangli Fan, Licheng Sun and Xiaojun Peng, “Synthesis and DNA photocleavage study of Ru(bpy)32+-(CH2)n-MV2+ complexes.” Dalton Transactions, 2010, 39, 4411-4416.
83. Yongqian Xu, Matthew Panzer, Xiaopeng Li, Wiley Youngs, Yi Pang, “Host-Guest Assembly of Squaraine Dye in Cucurbituril: Its Implication in Fluorescent Probe for Mercury Ions” Chem. Commun., 2010, 46, 4073-4075.
82. Yongqian Xu and Yi Pang, “Zinc Binding-Induced Near-Infrared Emission from Excited-State Intramolecular Proton Transfer of a Bis(benzoxazole) Derivative” Chem. Commun, 2010, 46, 4070-4072.
81. Qinghui Chu, Doug A. Medvetz, Matt Panzner, and Yi Pang “A Fluorescent Bis(benzoxazole) Ligand: Toward Binuclear Zn(II)-Zn(II) Assembly.” Dalton Transactions, 2010, 39, 5254-5259.
80. Weihua Chen, Yi Pang, “Excited-State Intramolecular Proton Transfer in 2-(2’,6’-Dihydroxyphenyl)benzoxazole: Effect of Dual Hydrogen Bonding on the Optical Properties” Tetrahedron Letter 2010, 51, 1914-1918.
79. Nuttara Jamonnak, Brett M. Hirsch, Yi Pang, Weiping Zheng, “SIRT1 Processing of Ne-acetyl-lysine Analogs,” Bioorganic Chemistry, 2010, 38(1), 17-25.
78. Wenhui Yi, Andrey Malkovskiy, Yongqian Xu, Xiao-Qian Wang,Alexei P. Sokolov, Marisabel Lebron Colon, Michael Meador, Yi Pang “Polymer Conformation-Assisted Wrapping of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube: The Impact of cis-Vinylene Linkage” Polymer, 2010, 51, 475-481.
77. Shiguo Sun, Yang Yang, Fengyu Liu, Yi Pang, Jiangli Fan, Lichen Sun, Xiaojun Peng “ A Study of Highly Efficient Bimetallic Ruthenium tris-Bipyridyl ECL Labels for Coreactant System” Anal. Chem. 2009, 81, 10227-10231.
76. Tongyan Zhang, Shiguo Sun, Yi Pang, Xiaojun Peng, Jiangli Fan, Fengyu Liu “Redox-Induced Partner Radical Formation and Its Dynamic Balance with Radical Dimer in Cucurbituril.” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2009, 11 (47), 11134-11139.
75. Weihua Chen and Yi Pang, “Efficient Synthesis of 2-(2’-Hydroxyphenyl)benzoxazole by Palladium(II)-Catalyzed Oxidative Cyclization” Tetrahedron Letter, 2009, 50, 6680–6683.
74. Jianfang Chai, Chao Wang, Li Jia, Yi Pang, Matthew Graham, and Stephen Z. D. Cheng “Synthesis and Electrochemical Properties of a New Class of Boron-Containing n-Type Conjugated Polymers.” Synthetic Metals, 2009, 159 (14), 1443-1449.
73. Victor Banjoko, Yongqian Xu, Eric Mintz, Yi Pang, “Terpyridine-Functionalized PPVs: The Role of meta-Phenylene Linkage on the Cu2+ and Zn2+ Chemisensor”, Polymer. 2009, 50, 2001-2009.